• You have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act

    As a family experiencing transitional housing you have the right to:

    • Continue your child’s education at the school they attended prior to becoming homeless (their school of origin for this school year)
    • Enroll your child in any public school that other students are eligible to attend, from the same attendance area.
    • Appeal if your child is sent to a school other than their school of origin or a school requested by you.
    • Have your child enroll in and have a full and equal opportunity to succeed without being separated from other students.
    • Receive educational services for which your child is eligible including transportation services; participate in meal programs, referrals to health care/immunization services, and other appropriate services.

    If your family lives in any of the following situations you may qualify for services:

    • In a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground;
    • On the street;
    • In an abandoned building, trailer, or other inadequate accommodation; or
    • Doubled up with friends or relatives because you cannot find or afford housing.

For Information, please contact

  • Local Liaison

    Zayda Boudreau
    (520) 876-3245

    State Coordinator

    Silvia Chavez